April 03, 2010

Lovers' Whirlwind

By Paul McGuire © 2010

"How long have you been here?" Jorgen asked as he rubbed his eyes and his temple.

"Hard to tell," explained the girl in the green dress. "I want to say seven years. But it could be longer."

"Seven years? How about everyone over there?"

"Please, don't point. It's not polite. I know you are a new arrival, but we have certain rules here. If the eld-"

"I apologize," interrupted Jorgen. "I was referring to those people standing on the grass."

"I know who are talking about. I don't think this is the right time."

"Right time? I don't understand. Who are they? Why are they wearing weird clothes? How long have they been here?"

"I don't know if you want to know the real answer. You're a new arrival. It's not proper to ask all these questions on your first day. The real answers are not important."

"Real answer? Please, you must tell me."

"At least seventy years."

"I'm sorry, seventeen?"

"No. Seven. Zero. Seventy. And that's just for Rose. The other have been here longer. Much longer."

"You mean, I could be here for seventy years?"

"Get used to it."

"Is there anyway out?"

"We should not be speaking about this. You really should leave."

"Please. I'm very confused. This all seems like a dream. But I know it isn't."

"How do you know for sure? This is not where you think it is."

"Where are we?"

"When is a better question than where."

"What?"

"No. When."

"When what?"

"What when where?"

"How?"

"It just is."

"Wait a sec. Where are we?"

"When are we."

"I'm more confused."

"Only because you keep asking questions. If you just be and not think, you will feel much better."

"My vision is blurry. I have a headache. I need to sit down."

"You're a new arrival. You shouldn't be doing all this thinking."

"New arrival? Where?"

"When?"

"Not this shit again."

"Please refrain from profanity. The elders do not approve."

"Who are the elders?"

"No more questions."

"OK, so when are we?"

"You figured it out."

"I did? I don't get it."

"You're supposed to be."

"Be what? Wait, or be when?"

"Be now."

"But now is when."

"Correct."

"Are we in the past?"

"Time is not linear."

"Is life?"

"Apparently not."


Paul McGuire is the author of Lost Vegas.

No comments: