January 23, 2003

January 2003 (Vol.2, Issue 1)

Welcome to Truckin' my monthly E-Zine. This month's issue includes two bits of fiction from yours truly, as well as two reviews: the Phish NYE concert at MSG and I also wrote up mini reviews of six independent films. Señor returns with two stories, one from his trip last month to the Phillipnes and the other about his New Year's experiences in India. So sit back, relax, enjoy, and spread the word! Thanks for all your support! Be Sweet, McG

1. The Man in the Clown Suit by Tenzin McGrupp
I teased the now, passed out party clown, who sits slumped up on the bench on the platform. He once was a respectable man in many circles, domestic and in Canada. He was applauded when he entered bar mitzvahs and retirement parties in Miami Beach, he was showered with compliments and happy goofy looks from snot nosed kids at pool parties in Little Neck... More

2. Misadventures from the Philippines, Part II: There's a Red Bird Over Yonder by Senor
What more could go wrong? My first night in Manila was enough to make me want to leave the country forever. But I wasn't ready to condemn the whole country for one bad night in one city. I decided to stick around the Philippines, but you can be damned sure I got the hell out of Manila ASAP! More

3. Phish Reunion Concert: A NYE Review by Tenzin McGrupp
It was the hottest ticket in town, and the most sought after Phish ticket in the history of Phish-dom. Bids were in the thousands of dollars on e-bay and ticket brokers wouldn’t even talk to you unless you were willing to pay big bucks. Even Dead Guru Bruce Cohen declared, “Every Phish freak from here to fuckin’ Idaho will be looking for a ticket.” More

4. Laughing Laughing, Señor falls apart! by Señor
Two days in Bombay was too much! Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my brief stay, but there was no way I was going to stay for a third night. After relocating to Koh Samui, Thailand from New York City I realized how much I hate crowds... More

5. Indie Film Reviews by Tenzin McGrupp
Over the past month or so, I’ve been spending my late insomnia ridden nights watching a collection of indie flicks that I found on Netflix. I rarely have time to “waste” nearly two hours watching mindless garbage that Hollywood ejaculates on a weekly basis, but unable to sleep, I found myself engaging in late night, early morning screening sessions of several films: Piñero, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Harvard Man, The Salton Sea, Widespread Panic: The Earth Will Swallow You, and The Good Girl... More

6. Dream Bubbles by Tenzin McGrupp
While you sleep, do you know that I try to catch your dreams with large butterfly nets? They are cumbersome the long nets, for sure, but I stand over you anyway, my shadows blanketing over you like a sullen storm circling in from off Lake Erie, and your distant dreams and ornate thoughts slip out of your angelic body like little bubbles being blown from the mouth of a small child standing in the middle of the Central Park zoo... More